kenneth-oberg

How long does it take the IRS to amend a return once they receive the 1040X?

My return was rejected due to my daughter accidentally selecting the 'no one else can claim her as a dependent' on her 1040. I'm having her submit a 1040X to fix this. My question is how long does it take the IRS to update this so I can re-efile my return?

rjs

You will not be able to e-file. It takes about 16 weeks for an amended return to be processed. But the IRS's e-file database does not get updated after the amended return is processed. Your daughter still has to amend her return, but you will have to print your tax return and file it by mail.

rjs