Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I keep working on a return marked "printed, ready to mail" by TurboTax, but I need to add to? Nothing has been sent to IRS so I don't t need to do 1040x.

I wanted to preview and download my 1040 still in progress, but must have done something wrong. I selected that I would mail in forms to IRS, so nothing was electronically filed. I am trying to modify my return, but TurboTax (business/self-employed) thinks return is finished, and says "Federal Printed, Ready to Mail." The options available seem to only amend the return, thus creating a 1040x. I never actually mailed in the return downloaded so I do not need a 1040x, I need to just continue working on the return without doing it as a 1040x. Anyone know how to perform this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I keep working on a return marked "printed, ready to mail" by TurboTax, but I need to add to? Nothing has been sent to IRS so I don't t need to do 1040x.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return where you can make any changes before the tax return is filed.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Thank you!

However, when I go to Tax Home, click on "Add a state," it does not take me back to my 2020 online tax return. It goes to a screen, "Let's get started on your state taxes." I do not see any option for working on federal taxes, only  "Amend" and "Cancel Amend." I live in Florida where a state return is not required. Every option I am seeing involves amending my 1040, which, again, I do not need to do since it was never e-filed or paper-mailed to IRS-- I just need to keep working on a return TurboTax apparently believes is finished.

On the Tax Home, it says "Way to go! You filed your 2020 taxes." Again, I have not actually filed. I set it up for paper mail-in, and TurboTax is providing me a download button. I did not e-file anything either nor click any orange button.

Is there any way to complete the work I need to do on my 1040 without starting over?

@dave-bauer73 Ok...Click on Cancel Amend.  This will take you back to the Tax Home web page.  Scroll down and click on Add a State again.  This should allow you to get back to the 2020 tax return.  Click on Federal on the left side of the screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies