Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alztoy

I just realized I used the 2016, not 2017 Mo State Refund on the federal and state taxes, filed yesterday. Can I make one change on an amended return or start all over

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I just realized I used the 2016, not 2017 Mo State Refund on the federal and state taxes, filed yesterday. Can I make one change on an amended return or start all over

If you have to change the amount of the state refund you recieved, you will need to file an amended return. That does not mean you need to start your return from scratch. 

TurboTax can help. You go into your account and start the amended return. You will only need to make the change(s).

TurboTax will generate a 1040X, which looks much different than a 1040 and will report the CHANGE in your tax. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Was the refund added to your income? (Schedule 1 line 10)
alztoy

I believe so.  I hope I can just change the Mo Tax Refunded amount and not do another whole return
alztoy

I checked and the answer is Yes....Schedule 1, Line 10 shows the incorrect amount I entered
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Should you have reported more or less?

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it.

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return.
alztoy

How do I jump to a comment to see your response, Kris D
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If you have to change the amount of the state refund you recieved, you will need to file an amended return. That does not mean you need to start your return from scratch. 

TurboTax can help. You go into your account and start the amended return. You will only need to make the change(s).

TurboTax will generate a 1040X, which looks much different than a 1040 and will report the CHANGE in your tax. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies