How do I go to a prior years tax return to view specific items I entered, not the printout but the online return before it was filed

You cannot open the prior year return with the current year online program.

You can save a PDF of the return which has all the forms & worksheets to see the amounts you entered. 

If you really want or need to open the return and see the actual input screens then click on the amendment choice in the 2015 timeline & download the .tax2015 file.  You don't need to change anything, this is just the way to see the screens.