turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How do I go back and get my child tax credit for my last year's tax return?

When was your daughter born?  If she was born in 2020 you needed to pick that she lived with you the Whole year when you entered her.

A child born (even on Dec 31) is considered to live with you the whole year.  So pick the Whole Year at the top of the drop down box.

You may need to amend your return.

natalie_kristina
Returning Member

Maybe I misunderstood your response. I need to amend our 2020 taxes. Our son was born in 2020 but we lived overseas (active duty military), and didn't receive a social for him until after we filed in 2021. Are we not going to receive a CTC for him when we amend?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

No

You will not get a credit for that child even if you amend your 2020 return unless it was issued before your 2020 return was due including extensions. 

According to the IRS:

"Each qualifying child you use for the CTC or ACTC must have the required SSN. If you have a qualifying child who does not have the required SSN, you cannot use the child to claim the CTC or ACTC on either your original or an amended 2020 return. The required SSN is one that is valid for employment and is issued before the due date of your 2020 return (including extensions)."

2020 PUB 972

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kevinbm84
Returning Member

Kris,

I have an ITIN for my daughter born 10/20/21. I believe I can use the ITIN on my 2021 tax return and will receive a $500 credit for other dependents. Based on my readings it appears that since I was issued an ITIN prior to the original due date of the 2021 tax return I would then be allowed to amend the 2021 tax return and claim the CTC and get the remaining $3,100. Can you confirm if this is correct? I haven't been able to find any definitive support in code or publications saying this situation is allowed to amend for the CTC. 

Thank you for your time.

Kevin

PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, you may not claim the child tax credit for a child with an ITIN. The child must have an SSN to be a qualifying child eligible for the child tax credit (CTC), additional child tax credit (ACTC), refundable child tax credit (RCTC) or the nonrefundable child tax credit (NCTC).

• To be a qualifying child for the CTC, ACTC, RCTC or the NCTC, the child must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or U.S. resident alien, and must not have attained age 18 by the end of the tax year.
  • The Instructions for Schedule 8812, Credit for Qualifying Children and Other Dependents, explain who qualifies for the CTC, ACTC, RCTC, NCTC, the requirements for taxpayer identification numbers (TINs), and how to calculate the credits. Refer to Part III of Schedule 8812 to calculate an additional tax if you received excess advanced CTC payments during 2021.

From FAQ IRS Child Tax Credit

@kevinbm84

71susy

its a glitch in turbo tax system 2 years in a row I didnt get ctc for one of my kids and the box wasnt checked either

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

Whether or not the box gets checked depends on how you answer the questions about your child and if they qualify.  This isn't a glitch.  

If you need to change something you would need to Amend Your Return for 2020 in order to claim the ctc if you did not get it in 2020. The rules for the CTC have changed for 2021, there is no income lower limit as there was before.  

qualify for the Child Tax Credit 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies