turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I find out if my tax paper filing documents have been received by IRS?

For the tax year 2020, I received a filing extension to 10/15/2021. I mailed my tax forms on 10/11/2021. I have looked on-line at a Verification document and it reads " we have no record of a processed tax return for the tax period December, 2020". I am trying to find out if the documents were received by the IRS? Perhaps due to backlogs, they have not been processed yet. I have tried to get through to the IRS at the 800- -1040 number but get to a point at various times where I will be sent to the proper group, but when I am transferred I get the recording "..to busy now try later". Rather than a refund, I applied to have my refund applied to my 2021 estimated tax. I have been advised by IRS personnel not to send in a copy of what I have mailed and not to send a letter asking if the IRS has received the return. Any suggestions on how I might get this information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

You will need to continue to try to contact the IRS regarding your 2020 tax return. Please see How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? for more information, including the IRS phone number and hours of operation. You may want to try calling right when they open since they have been very busy throughout the day.

@jbesrtt1230

Do you think writing a letter would help since phoning is not proving possible?  

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS provides Tax Payer Advocates to assist with tax filers' tax issues. Here's the link to contact a Taxpayer Advocate for assistance with your situation.     

Taxpayer Advocate     

@jbesrtt1230

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies