Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i find out how much money i will get refunded for the Unemployment Tax refund? i want to know how much i will be getting back?

i filed my taxes already, and i owed because electing to have taxes taken out of unemployment still doesn't take out enough but i want to know how much i will get back now that Biden passed that law about the first couple thousand being tax free. irs said may but i haven't heard any new info
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RayW7
Expert Alumni

How do i find out how much money i will get refunded for the Unemployment Tax refund? i want to know how much i will be getting back?

Your Form 1099-G, which will show the amount of unemployment income you received. Form 1099-G will also show any federal taxes you had taken out of your unemployment pay. You are now entitled to exclude the first $10,200 of federal unemployment income from paying any taxes.

The bill makes the first $10,200 of federal unemployment income ($20,400 for married filing jointly) tax-free for households with income less than $150,000. The legislation excludes only 2020 federal unemployment benefits from taxes, not unemployment income received in 2021.

• If you already filed your 2020 tax return, you do not need to do anything to get these additional unemployment benefits. The IRS announced that they will automatically adjust your return and send any additional refund amount directly to you. However, some people may now be newly eligible for additional deductions and credits not already included on the original tax return. In these cases, you will likely want to amend your return to claim these additional dollars. Additional information on this is below.

The good news is the the IRS has reviewed the first round of Unemployment Calculation Exclusion (UCE)  for about 21,000 filers. 

-follow this link for additional information-

Unemployment Stimulus: Am I Eligible for the New ...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies