turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i file for an amendment because my son claimed himself but i can also claim him?

My son lived with me for more than six months last year but he claimed himself. Can i file an amendment so i can add him back on as my dependant?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyW

How do i file for an amendment because my son claimed himself but i can also claim him?

Yes, you may be able to claim your son as a qualifying child if:
  • He is under 19, or a full-time student and under 24 years of age. There is no age limit if he is permanently and totally disabled.
  • He lives with you for more than half of the year (Temporary absences, like going to college does not count)
  • You provided more than half of his support for the tax year
  • You are the only person claiming him
See the article below for the rules about claiming a qualifying child. 

Here is a worksheet that will help you determine if you provide more than half of your son's support:

If your son claimed himself, then he will need to file an amended return. When amending, the box Someone can claim me as a dependent will need to be clicked so that you can claim the exemption. To file an amended tax return, follow the steps below: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Amended tax returns must be filed by mail and can take up to 16 weeks to be processed by the IRS.

He can check the status of her amended return by clicking the link below:

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/wheres-my-amended-return-1

To resolve your tax return, you will be unable to e-file so you will want to print, sign, and mail your tax return. If you would prefer to wait, then you could file for an extension and e-file once her amended tax return has been processed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies