turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I add a document if I have already filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

You will need to amend your return. 

How do I do that?

To expatiate of TurboTaxCDKaleighC's answer,

You'll need to amend your return, the same way that you filed your original return. 

You need to wait till your original return is accepted by the IRS before you amend.  

If you have already filed your return, first print out a copy of your original return for your records.  

Then go into Turbo Tax and click Amend (change) a filed and accepted return under Manage Your Return.    

It's zeroed out (which is why you need to keep a copy of your original return).  You can then add any additional info that you've received, and Turbo Tax walks you through the rest!  

You mail the 1040X along with any schedules that changed as a result of the amendment (except the 1040).   

You also include the federal copy of any new W-2s or any 1099-Rs that had tax withheld.  

How do I know if my original return has been accepted by the IRS?

Check this site, <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/refunds">https://www.irs.gov/refunds</a>.  Have your SSN, filing status for this year, and refund amount ready.  It will tell you where your return is in the process.

Amend your 2016 return if you need to change or correct something after you already filed it.

Manage cookies