Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How could my refund go from $3000 to owing $200, just by an amendment to the return of a $900 credit card write off? Must I return the $3000 plus pay the $200 owed?

I had already completed and filed my 2017 taxes and Turbo tax calculated a $3000 federal income tax refund. Then I received a credit card debt cancellation for $900. I compleyed an amended return, now showing I owe $200. Must I return the $3000 refund plus pay  $200 in addition?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How could my refund go from $3000 to owing $200, just by an amendment to the return of a $900 credit card write off? Must I return the $3000 plus pay the $200 owed?

You still get the original refund, do not print, sign and mail in the amended return until the original refund has been received.  Then you have to pay back $200 of that refund with the amended return.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

You are still receiving your original refund amount.

The tax calculator on Turbo Tax resets to zero when you start the amend process so the amounts showing up in the tax calculator after you start your amended return are new amounts to be received or paid back to the IRS.

The tax amount on your 1040X is either additional refund (Line 22) or an amount due that has to be paid back to the IRS (Line 20).

The total amount of refund for your 2017 return (if all information was included when you originally e-filed) is the original refund amount minus the amount due on your Form 1040X.

Wait until you have received your refund before mailing your amended return.  You need to sign and date the return and submit payment for the amount that's owed ($200).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies