kate-ll-blinn

How can I adjust an amount showing as an HSA contribution on my Ind. state return? I believe it came from my federal return, but adjusting it there didn't change Ind.

BMcCalpin

Can you tell me what Indiana form you see the HSA contribution on?
kate-ll-blinn

It only appears in Section 2 of the IT-40PNR
BMcCalpin

Let me know if this works for you...
BMcCalpin

When you see the screen in the Indiana state interview (for part-year resident and nonresident only) that is headed "Indiana Adjustment", it may contain a line about "Health Savings Account deduction". Note that this is only for the "direct" HSA contributions found on line 25 on Schedule 1.

In the first column should be the federal amount of direct HSA contributions from line 25 (Schedule 1).

In the second column, you are invited to enter the amount of the HSA contributions that apply to income in the state of Indiana.

For example, if you moved to Indiana on March 1, you spent 59 days out of Indiana and 306 days in Indiana. If your direct HSA contributions were made in equal amounts monthly over the year for a total of $2,000, then the Indiana amount of direct HSA contributions would be $1,677 (2,000*306/365)

In this case, you would enter $1,677 in the second column under "Indiana".

Here are the instructions for Schedule A of the IT-40PNR

"Line 24 — Health Savings Account Deduction
If you are eligible to take this adjustment on your federal Schedule 1, line 25, you are also allowed the adjustment on your Indiana tax return. Enter the amount of the federal deduction in Column A. If some or all of the income on which this deduction was based is taxed by Indiana, then you will be able to take a deduction in Column B." See https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=13963

kate-ll-blinn

Thanks so much for this answer - but the problem is that I didn't actually contribute anything to my HSA last year. I contributed the 1200 to retirement, but I mistakenly entered it somehow as an HSA contribution and now I can't figure out how to remove it.
BMcCalpin

HSA contributions are shown by code W in box 12 on your W-2. 401(k) contributions are shown by code D in box 12 on the W-2...so take a look at your W-2.
BMcCalpin

Also, if your W-2 looks OK, but you auto-imported the W-2, please make a copy of your W-2, delete it, and then re-add it manually. Occasionally, things get confused in the import process.