sunliuxun

Hi Sir/Mam,I am a non-resident Alien, but I filed my tax with Turbotax. My status for both federal and state tax are ACCEPT. How to amend the tax file? Thanks

MollsBBU

If you have already submitted your return, you will need to wait for your return to be accepted or rejected. If rejected, simply correct and re-submit. However, if your return is accepted, you will need to submit an amendment Form 1040X after all original filing payments and forms have been processed.

To amend taxes filed on TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account. 
  2. Click Taxes in the upper left corner.
  3. In the 2015 Tax Year section, click Amend (change) return
  4. In the pop-up window, click Amend using TurboTax Online
  5. When you see Welcome Back, click Amend (change) a filed and accepted return.
    If you are on a different screen, click Federal Taxes, then Other Tax Situations, then click Amend a Return.
  6. Click Continue on the "We'll help you change (amend) your return" screen.
  7. Follow the on-screen directions to amend your return.
    When you revisit the program to amend, your refund meter will reset to 0. Any refund or amount owed will be in addition to your original refund. If you owe money with amending, you'll just include payment with your mailed amendment form. 
  8. When you're done, we'll give you instructions to print and mail your amended return because they can't be e-filed.

You can track your amended taxes with the IRS tracking tool. It takes the IRS around 16 weeks to process your amended taxes.

To amend a return filed with CD/Download TurboTax products, find instructions here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061593-how-do-i-amend-a-2015-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-download

macuser_22

I hate to say it, and I don't know much about non-resident alien's, but I do know that a non-resident alien must file a 1040NR (Non Resident) tax return that is  different that the 1040 form, TurboTax does not support the 1040NR.

You might want to investigate if you filed property in the first place before amending.
MollsBBU

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account. 

sunliuxun

Thanks a lot. So the 1040X is the only file I need to submit to IRS? Is there a date limit for me to file the 1040X?
MollsBBU

You should mail the 1040X and any supporting documents that are reflected in your amendment (ex: if you received another W-2, etc). There is no date limit per se, but if you are amending to receive an additional refund, that must be filed within three years to receive it. Also, the IRS has 7 years upon receiving a return to audit it. When you submit an amendment, that 7 years starts over.