turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jon12

Hi, I've gotten confused about the TurboTax filing flow and accidentally filed my 2018 Tax with "0" income (missing W-2 or 1099). Any solution without refiling "amend"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Hi, I've gotten confused about the TurboTax filing flow and accidentally filed my 2018 Tax with "0" income (missing W-2 or 1099). Any solution without refiling "amend"?

If you e-filed with zero income then the return should be rejected.  After it is rejected, you can correct it by adding your income and re-submitting it.
To check your e-file status  
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ef...>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You cannot possibly efile a return with no income ... the program will not allow it ... log in ... what is the filing status ?  Does it say  "take me to my return"  or  Ready to mail ?
Jon12

It just shows "Way to go! You filed your 2018 taxes." before I re-filed with an amendment. Now I've filed amendment with W-2 info. It shows "READY TO MAIL".

Good grief ... check your status here :   <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ef... does it say ?
And did you actually print & mail the amendment yet?
Jon12

"No Results
We don't have a record of a return for the Social Security Number and ZIP code combination or Tracking Number you provided. This may mean that you entered the Social Security Number, ZIP code, or Tracking Number incorrectly; please check your information and try again. It could also mean the return has not been successfully transmitted."
I have not printed and mailed it because it all happened today.
Jon12

I cancel the amended return and it brings me back to 2018 Taxes with "My Info", "Federal", "State", "Review" and "File" tabs on the left menu. Does this mean I can start everything over or it only means I still filed the "0" income for 2018 and no amendment has been done.

Yes ...if you did NOT click the big orange button in step 3 of the FILE tab then  you are now back to the beginning ...start with MY INFO and continue thru the entire interview ... do NOT skip around.
Jon12

Thank you for all the help so far. I think I may clicked it before to make the payment (thought that the payment is required upfront to continue the saved filing when I logged in today to continue my filing from the previous session). Now under "File" tab, I only see
"Up next, we'll help you wrap up a few things so you can:
1) Print and mail your amended CA return Learn More
2) E-file your federal return"

Well you need to go to the STATE tab and UNDO the state amendment you started by accident ... then start the interview again from the MY INFO tab.

State Amendments

The best way to "unamend" your state return is to go through your state return from the beginning and keep your eyes peeled for amend-related screens or questions.

The amend question usually appears right at the beginning or towards the end of the state interview (never in the middle).
Correct any entries that have to do with an amended return, e.g.:
• Answer No when asked if you want to amend;
• Clear any amend-related checkboxes;
• Delete entries in the tax year field.
• Note: In a few state programs, you actually have to answer Yes to the amend question so you can revisit the screens that contain the information you want to delete.
If you still can't get rid of your state amendment form, try clearing your state return and starting over.
Jon12

Thank you so much. Under the "File" tab, I am now back to Step 1, 2 and 3 where I've still had step 1 finished as the payment made but step 2 "Your Refund Info" is not yet started. I'll start over from my info. Thank you.

Perfect ... this can be fixed.... first you need to UNDO the amendment process if you started it ... then complete the return normally following the interview flow from one tab to the next from left to right ending with efiling the return in the FILE tab step 3.

If you started amending your tax return by accident and would like to cancel the amendment:

1.      Open your return if it’s not already open.

2.      In the left menu select Cancel amend.

3.      Select Yes, I want to cancel my amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies