turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi! I had the IRS contact me saying that I owe $2,190. They said it is incorrect info on line 33 and 44. I know I put it in right. Please get back to me ASAP.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Hi! I had the IRS contact me saying that I owe $2,190. They said it is incorrect info on line 33 and 44. I know I put it in right. Please get back to me ASAP.

Lines 33 and 44 of what form - Form 1040 or Form 1040A?
What is the notice number or letter number, starting with CP or LTR, at the top right on the IRS notice that you received?
Did the IRS propose changing anything else on your tax return besides lines 33 and 44? Does the notice give any reason or explanation for the changes, or say what they think is wrong? What are the exact amounts on those lines on your tax return, and what are the amounts that the IRS notice changes them to?

That must be the 1040A education credit that they are questioning ...

Did you receive a letter?

If you receive a letter or are audited by the IRS, it may be because the IRS did not receive a Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, verifying the student’s enrollment. Or, we need additional information to support the amounts of qualified expenses you reported on Form 8863. Review your Form 1098-T to make sure the student’s name and social security number are correct. If they do not match, contact the school to correct the information for future 1098-T reporting. If the student should have and did not receive the Form 1098-T, contact the school for a copy. Note: There are a few exceptions in which educational institutions are not required to furnish Form 1098-Ts. For details please see “What is Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement and how do I get it?”

If you claimed expenses that were not reported on the Form 1098-T in Box 1 as amounts paid or if your school reported the amount you were charged for qualified expenses in Box 2, please send us copies of paid receipts, cancelled checks or other documents as proof. See your letter for further instructions for what documents to send. If you do not have the letter, see our page Forms 886 May Help You for the Forms 886-H-AOC and 886-H-AOC-MAX for examples. Form 886-H-AOC is also available in Spanish.

Audit and examination process

IRS selects income tax returns for examination identified by computer programs showing a return has incorrect amounts. The examination may or may not result in a change to your tax or credits.

Use the following links for additional information:

Pub 3498-A, The Examination Process (Examinations by Mail) (PDF)
Pub 556, Examination of Returns, Appeal Rights, and Claims for Refund (PDF)

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/education-credits-aotc-llc

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies