melissa-lemley

Hello, I just received an unexpected 1099-R with a $0.00 taxable amount but I already filed my taxes. Do I need to file an amended return?

If I must file an amended return, will this $0.00 taxable amount in Box 2a change my refund?
Patrice

Were there any other dollar amounts in any of the other boxes?
melissa-lemley

Yes, in box 1, it has $1,636.32.  All other boxes are blank.
Patrice

Is there a code in Box 7?
melissa-lemley

Oh yes, the code is G
Patrice

Yes, it is recommended that you file an amendment and include the 1099-R.  Code G is for a direct rollover but you still need to file the 1099-R on our tax return.  Because this was a direct rollover, you should not have any tax implications.  

However,  Give yourself some time just in case your receive additional tax documents in the next few weeks. I would hold on to the 1099-R and do nothing right now because the IRS 2016 Amended tax forms will not be ready until sometime in February. This will give you some extra time to prepare your amended return in the event you need to make additional changes.