turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MY SON WORKED TWO MONTHS LAST YEAR AND MADE APROX. 4,700 DO I CLAIM HIM OR DOES HE DO HIS OWN TAXES AND ALSO DO I PUT HIS W2 ON MY TAX RETURN AND WHERE? THANKS

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

MY SON WORKED TWO MONTHS LAST YEAR AND MADE APROX. 4,700 DO I CLAIM HIM OR DOES HE DO HIS OWN TAXES AND ALSO DO I PUT HIS W2 ON MY TAX RETURN AND WHERE? THANKS

You should be able to claim him as a dependent on your tax return.  You would not enter his earned income from wages reported on W-2 on your tax return.  He would file his own tax return and indicate on his return that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

How old was he as of 12/31/2016?  Was he a full time student for any 5 months during 2016?

He turn 19 oct 31 2016 and full time college student 5mts

You should be able to claim him as a dependent on your tax return.  You would not enter his earned income from wages reported on W-2 on your tax return.  He would file his own tax return and indicate on his return that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies