turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am looking forward my refund check by mail. I just know it's returned by post office as undeliverable. I wrote my country address(South Korea). How can I get the check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

I am looking forward my refund check by mail. I just know it's returned by post office as undeliverable. I wrote my country address(South Korea). How can I get the check?

Are you saying your mailed check from the US Treasury arrived in South Korea and delivery could not be made, so the S. Korea postal service sent it back to the IRS in the USA?   How do you know that?

Are you sure the IRS has mailed the check?   Here's how to check.  What do you see here?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.irs.gov/Refunds">http://www.irs.gov/Refunds</a>

When I checked my refund status through that link, it shows
“Your refund check was mailed to you and returned by the post office as undeliverable. To ensure delivery of your refund, we need your current address.” like this.

I think it means IRS already sent me the mailed check but they have got a delivery problem. I have entered exact address. Can you check it again?

No one can check anything for you in this user forum.  View/print your return and see what address is shown on it.
If you can't figure out what the problem is, you'll need to phone the IRS for assistance anyway and to have it redelivered to the correct address.   Are you in the USA now or in another country?

If you are in the USA, we can tell you how to speak to a live agent at the IRS.
If you are outside the USA, we can tell you how to call the IRS International Taxpayer Service Call Center.

I am in another country now. Could you let me know how can I do?

See the info I left you below.

Is it possible that one of my friend in USA makes a phone call to IRS intead of me? And figure it out.

For personal ID and security reasons, the IRS probably would not talk to anyone else unless you were also on the phone to give permission.   You could have a friend call perhaps to ask in general how a person would correct the problem and have the check resent.   I don't know if that will be helpful or not since you don't seem to know what the error is.

Did you look to see if the address is correct on the return?

@ leehana221
If you can't phone, you could write a postal letter inquiring about it and providing the correct address.   There is a postal address for the IRS International Accounts division on the same page at the link in the answer below.

There is also a FAX number shown there, but I don't know if it's to be used for this type of issue or not.  It says for international tax account issues, so it sounds like that is a possibility.

You still have not said if the address is correct on your return or not.  If it's wrong, you can submit a Form 8822 to request the address be corrected and to show your current address of record that you want the IRS to have.   Whether they would automatically re-mail the check after that, I don't know.  That's why it might be best to talk to them to see what the best way is to resolve this so they can send a new check.

I've found that I missed a building number.. I think I have to submit a Form 8822 to fix it. Where can I fill the form?

Form 8822 can be downloaded from the IRS website here:
 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf</a>

The instructions are on Page 2. It looks like international filers mail the form to the IRS at the Austin, Texas address shown under "foreign country" in the mailing chart on Page 2.

It can take 4-6 weeks for the IRS to process a change of address. See also this information:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes">https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/add...>

I don't know if they will automatically resend the check after that, or whether you need to specifically contact them to resend the check to the new address.

Yesterday I made a call to the IRS International Taxpayer Service and revised my address correctly. Thank you for your help 🙂

Great news!   So they were able to successfully ID you and change it over the phone?   That's a lot easier.  And they said they would resend the check?    Hopefully you'll get it without a problem this time.

Yes, they asked me lots of security questions and changed it over the phone. It took a half of hours. They gonna issue mailed check and resend it for me. Thanks!

View/print the return to see what address is showing on the actual return.   Did you enter correctly the address, foreign country name, province (if applicable), and foreign postal code in the correct boxes?

Here's how to phone the IRS International Taxpayer Service Call Center.  It will not be a free call, so be mindful of phone charges if you are on hold.

https://www.irs.gov/help/contact-my-local-office-internationally

Manage cookies