fatimaama

Forgot to claim student loan interest deductions 1098e for this year 2017, can i do it for next year or do i legally have to amend it and do it for this year

i filed my taxes and as of today 1/22/2018, they have already received and accepted my federal tax form. However, i forgot to add my 1098 e for my schools interest. The amendment form wont even be available until 2/1/2018. Can I just file the 1098 next year? or am i legally obligated to amend the tax for this year, and will it be a separate process or will it hold up my entire refund and push it back.

LinaJ2018

Once your tax return was submitted successfully to the TurboTax program, you cannot retrieve and change the information on your tax return.  If you paid student loan interest during 2017, you will have to report on your 2017 tax return.  You cannot report on your 2018 tax return. 

If your return got rejected for whatever reasons, you can return to the program/account to make corrections along with other changes.  You do not need an amendment Form1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, please see the following :

You will have to amend your return by filing a Form 1040X.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them.  They are processed as two separate returns.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. 

Please come back in February to complete the amendment.