mikes425

Forgot my June & Sept. 1040-ES pmts. If i pay now, should i include the vouchers, & how should i fill em out? Or just include latest ones & overpay? Or wait til 1/15/17

I forgot to make the 2nd and 3rd Estimated Tax voucher payments in 2016... I have the prepared vouchers with estimated amounts filled in by a preparer when he did the taxes in April.  So if i want to pay some amount on both my State and Federal Estimated taxes, what should I do with the vouchers?  Should i just send the one from September or include both vouchers (2 and 3)  ... OR might it be better to wait til 1/15/17 ES and pay a lump sum that covers Estimated Tax through that date - since it is already Dec. 21st...??? 

THANKS!

bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Just include the latest voucher and overpay.  You can use the 1/15/2017 voucher and include that one as an early payment.  Cross out and pencil in the actual payment if the predetermined payment amount is already on the voucher.

bwa
Alumni
Alumni

mikes425

Thanks!  Related topic and sorry for confusion - am trying to do taxes on my own from here on out --  If I'm running significantly below earnings YTD  compared with last-year's income, how would you suggest determining the proper payment amount?  

bwa
Alumni
Alumni

The best you can do is estimate it.  At this late date, you could use the 2016 program to tentatively enter information and see what you may owe.  Just make sure you correct any information as actual documents come in.
mikes425

ok great, thanks!

Why are you paying estimates?  I see you are posting from the Free Edition.   You probably will have to upgrade.  If you have self employment income you need to use the Self Employed version this year. (formerly known as Home & Business).
mikes425

I have not used Intuit yet. I am not familiar with all of the hierarchy of what's where..this is the forum that i found to inquire about my question so i used this one.  I have been self-employed for 25 years as a sole proprietor, and worked most of the time with accountants who've prepared the annual schedule of Vouchers for me ... This coming year i am looking at either doing my own taxes or maybe not... Just thought this would be a place to find an answer to my questions.

Yes we are here to help.  We are mainly other users but you found the right place.  Ask away!