turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

heinie44

For tax year 2016 I used Turbo Tax Home & Business on home computer (not online). How do I reprint forms W2 and W3 for a household employee ? SSA requires these docs

For tax year 2016 I used Turbo Tax Home & Business installed from CD on my home computer (not online). Social Security Administration mailed me last week requiring me to supply copies of forms W2 and W3 for a household employee who I reported on Schedule H.  Where do I look for the W2 and W3?  And if I can't find them, how do I prepare them now ?

I tried to do this by running my 2016 Turbo Tax Home and Business but it has not been cooperating. Here is what happened.

It wanted to install updates. This seemed totally irrelevant because I just wanted to reprint (or prepare) the W2 and W3 forms.  But  I let it do the update.

After it finished updating It said it would restart.  Then it disappeared from view. No reassuring hour glass or indication that anything was happening. Ten minutes have now passed and it has not restarted,

What should I do now ? Restart Turbo Tax  ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

For tax year 2016 I used Turbo Tax Home & Business on home computer (not online). How do I reprint forms W2 and W3 for a household employee ? SSA requires these docs

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

Sometimes TurboTax does not restart automatically after updates.  Double click the TurboTax icon on your desktop to open the program.

To prepare W-2s for 2019, please follow these steps:

1. Open the TurboTax program.  On the Opening screen, click on the blue box, Start a New Return.  
  2. On the screen, What would you like to do? mark the button for Prepare W-2s and 1099s... and click Continue.
  3. You will have to prepare the W-2s from your desktop.  The online version only handles 2019 forms.  Click on the blue Choose Desktop box. 
  4. On the next screen, click Continue Without Transferring.
  5. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.

[Edited | 4/13/2020 |  12:26 pm PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

Sometimes TurboTax does not restart automatically after updates.  Double click the TurboTax icon on your desktop to open the program.

To prepare W-2s for 2019, please follow these steps:

1. Open the TurboTax program.  On the Opening screen, click on the blue box, Start a New Return.  
  2. On the screen, What would you like to do? mark the button for Prepare W-2s and 1099s... and click Continue.
  3. You will have to prepare the W-2s from your desktop.  The online version only handles 2019 forms.  Click on the blue Choose Desktop box. 
  4. On the next screen, click Continue Without Transferring.
  5. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.

[Edited | 4/13/2020 |  12:26 pm PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks so much for the info. It looked like your advice for doing the 2016 W2 was working. But when I used 2016 Turbo Tax to try to do the W2, and  browsed to the folder for 2016 to find the *.tax2016 file  the 2016 app said it wanted to load  *.tax2015 and refused to even acknowledge *.tax2016.  I am totally disgusted at the sloppiness.

Whoever did this deserves a pink slip.

Finally managed to complete W2 form.  It then said I could do the W3.  But this was not true.  Could find no path to doing the W3.  Insanely unpleasant to use.

Here is what happened after I completed the W2 form..

I reached a Page headed "Reconcile with Payroll Report"

I Clicked "Continue"

Exposed a page headed "Reonciled!"

Options (ie. available links):
== Back
== Continue
== Form W3

I clicked on "Form W3"
This exposed a page headed  Form W-3

which said "We will complete Form W-3"

but there was no pathway to doing this.

Clicking "Continue" exposed forms for completing a 1099
But no option to complete W3
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies