turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KDM1

Filed tax return under incorrect form (1040-EZ instead of 1040-NR) in 2015. Do I need to correct that to file 2017 tax return under Non-Resident Alien?

I accidently filed my federal tax return in 2015 uing 1040-EZ while I was a non-resident alien.
Now I was planning to file my tax return as non-resident alient (1040-NR through sprintax) for 2017 as I am still a non-alien resident
(based on IRS rules). Do I need to correct my 2015 tax return as well? And if yes, how to do that? Please help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Filed tax return under incorrect form (1040-EZ instead of 1040-NR) in 2015. Do I need to correct that to file 2017 tax return under Non-Resident Alien?

You'll need to complete form 1040X for amending returns. In the top portion, you can choose what year you are amending for. You will then need to complete the 1040NR for that year. 

You will need to print and mail the IRS the following:
 - Your Form 1040X 
 - Your Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ with “AS AMENDED” written on top of each page, and
 - a copy of the Form 1040 you originally submitted with “COPY OF ORIGINALLY SUBMITTED” written on top of each page.

Mail these to the address provided in the IRS 1040X instruction.

Manage cookies