turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jayray83

Filed my 1040 & CA 540. Refund received last week. Received a 1099-S for house inherited in Aug 2016, sold in Dec 2016. No gain/lost. Do I need to file amended forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

Filed my 1040 & CA 540. Refund received last week. Received a 1099-S for house inherited in Aug 2016, sold in Dec 2016. No gain/lost. Do I need to file amended forms?

Technically, since an amendment would not change your amount due or refund, you are not required to file an amended return.  However, it is quite possible the IRS will contact you in the future concerning the 1099-S form missing from your return.  At that point you'll need to respond it writing to explain the situation.  It's possible that reporting the sale on an amended tax return will avoid this future annoyance.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardG

Technically, since an amendment would not change your amount due or refund, you are not required to file an amended return.  However, it is quite possible the IRS will contact you in the future concerning the 1099-S form missing from your return.  At that point you'll need to respond it writing to explain the situation.  It's possible that reporting the sale on an amended tax return will avoid this future annoyance.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies