jayray83

Filed my 1040 & CA 540. Refund received last week. Received a 1099-S for house inherited in Aug 2016, sold in Dec 2016. No gain/lost. Do I need to file amended forms?

RichardG

Technically, since an amendment would not change your amount due or refund, you are not required to file an amended return.  However, it is quite possible the IRS will contact you in the future concerning the 1099-S form missing from your return.  At that point you'll need to respond it writing to explain the situation.  It's possible that reporting the sale on an amended tax return will avoid this future annoyance.

RichardG