turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Filed form 8453 HCTC by mistake... don't qualify for it but didn't realize. My return is being suspended & was told to wait for a letter from IRS. Anyone know what to do?

I called back today because I still have not received an update.  Now they are saying call back next week if nothing comes.  Smh.

Filed form 8453 HCTC by mistake... don't qualify for it but didn't realize. My return is being suspended & was told to wait for a letter from IRS. Anyone know what to do?

Wow. Wtf. WMF hasn’t updated for you at all?!?

No. All I made was one mistake with that 8885 form that I didn’t qualify for.  I call almost every other day and all they can tell me is to wait.  They did receive my fax that’s all they say.  I’m trying to get ahold of a tax advocate they are impossible to reach. Smh.

Today is the 6 week mark. Now they are saying wait another week before I call back if I don’t receive anything.

did anyone have to pay back money or where they expecting you to send them documentation before refunding you money

Not sure how I ended up getting screwd with the same issue, I have not idea where I even input any deductions for insurance

They send you documentation to send to them. One of the blocks is that you have made a mistake and to deduct it from your refund. I had filed early in the tax year last year and I didn’t get my return until maybe April or May.
joy1820

What is the fax number to send to the irs. I made the same mistake as well. But crazy part is I’ve already received my state refund

I’m not sure. The fax number came with my notice. You literally have to wait for them to mail you the papers and say to process your refund without it. I got my taxes late last year. Well after the tax deadline. I think June
joy1820

Ok thanks. Omg June! This is ridiculous. I hope I don’t have to wait that long. They claim somebody escalated my case .The credit was only $16 so it wasn’t a whole lot.

Hopefully you don’t have to wait. But when I kept calling they said I had to wait for the letter in the mail and they usually get to those cases after the tax deadline. It was a whole mess. So I made sure this year not to do it again.

The IRS may "fix" your error or the IRS may ask you to amend your return (or anything in between).

From your point of view, you have three things to do:

1. Before you get the letter, craft a written explanation explain why you took that credit by mistake. (Note, you are not the first taxpayer to do this)

2. When you get the IRS letter, read the letter carefully and do exactly what it says - amend or not amend, send this or that form, whatever.

3. The IRS usually gives you 3 weeks or so to respond. If you can't do what they want you to do in that timeframe, respond anyway, if only to explain that you are working on it and will have what they want soon. The worst thing in the world is to ignore the IRS.

Note that the IRS may actually be writing about something else entirely. In which case, do what they want you to do as well as explain that you took the HCTC by mistake. Ask them what to do. They may tell you to amend your return, but often they fix your return for you and ask if that is OK with you (yes, more often than not you will have to send them a check, but when you pay what they want, it's all over and done with).

If the IRS just asks for corrected forms, you will go through the amendment process in TurboTax anyway, to get the corrected forms; you just won't mail the entire package, but only what the IRS asks for.

@TurboTaxBillMc Thank you! I've just never experienced any issues when filing so I feel helpless until I get the letter or further info explaining
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies