Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Filed federal extension, paid taxes due, want to cancel payment

How can I do this?
1 Reply
Level 7

Filed federal extension, paid taxes due, want to cancel payment

Once a payment is scheduled and the extension was accepted, you will have to call the IRS's payment services hotline to cancel any automatic payment you have scheduled.  They advise to wait 7-10 days after your return was accepted before calling to give the system time to reflect your information.

"Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling." 

If you have any issues using the above number, you can also call the regular IRS number at 800.829.1040 to speak to a regular customer service representative. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies