turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Federal Tax return rejected

I received an email saying my federal tax return was rejected.  

It says Home Energy Credits 2023- There is an issue related to form 5695, Home Energy Credits. 

I had originally put in Yes that we had that, but after going through the questions it turns out we don't.  So I went back at put No, so we don't have that 5695 anymore.  Should I go ahead and mail in the amended form even though it shows 0 refund, when the original shows we are getting a refund?

Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Federal Tax return rejected

You do not amend a rejected tax return.  You only need to fix the error and e-file the tax return again.


Delete for Form 5695 so you can e-file again


Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

Expert Alumni

Federal Tax return rejected

No, if your return is rejected, as far as the IRS is concerned, you haven't filed yet, so you can't amend.


What you need to do is to correct the rejection and submit the return again. if you aren't eligible for the Home Energy Credit, you can fix that by deleting the form. 


Here's how to do that:



  1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Select Fix my return. 
  3. Select Tax Tools from the left-side menu, then Tools.
  4. Select Delete a form.
  5. Find Form 5695 on the list and select Delete to the right. 
  6. Confirm your delete, then Continue my return. 
  7. Select Review on the left and then Continue to file until you re-submit your return. 




**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies