Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-misc should be a w-2. I was not self-employed or a freelancer. I already submitted a form ss-8. How do I fill in the 1040 form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

1099-misc should be a w-2. I was not self-employed or a freelancer. I already submitted a form ss-8. How do I fill in the 1040 form?

Enter the information from the 1099-Misc by typing "1099-misc" into the search box and click on the "Jump to" link that appears in the search results.  After you enter the details of the 1099-Misc. When you see the page that says "Does one of these uncommon situations apply?", click on "xxxxxx's employer reported this extra money on a 1099-Misc......(see sample screenshot below).  This screen will explain Form 8919 and SS-8.  TurboTax will prepare and file Form 8919 for you with your returnThen, follow the program prompts to complete the entry.

But the Turbotax program still has me filling out a Schedule C. How do i handle that?
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Did you select "xxxx filed Form SS-8, Determination of Worker Status, with the IRS" then also select "xxxx hasn't gotten a reply yet"? Those questions are located on the screen that explains Form 8919 and SS-8.  If those are selected, the program should not be populating a Schedule C for this income. Switch to the Forms view (Ctrl+2) and find the Schedule C and delete the form.  Then revisit the 1099-Misc entries and make sure the appropriate selections are made.  Please comment if you need additional help.

I have all those boxes checked correctly as far as I can see. The program is still asking me to fill out a Schedule C.
JulieR
Expert Alumni

I think the program is "stuck".  Please delete both the Schedule C and the 1099-Misc you entered.  Then close the program and re-open it.  Make sure you check for updates when you re-open the program. Then enter your 1099-Misc again. I hope this resolves this issue for you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies