mlswayze

Due to error discovered, I had to pay back my refund & additional fees on my '16 Fed return in '18. Can I deduct this in my '18 return? If so, how & where do I do this?

There was a 1099 that I was not aware of that was turned in back in 2016.  IRS discovered the discrepency and informed me that I need to not only give back my refund amount but I also had to now pay the amount of taxes due on my 2016 return.  I am requesting to see of any of this can be deducted on my 2018 return which was the year that I paid back all of the money for the 2016 return year.

JulieR

No. Federal taxes and penalties are not deductible on your Federal return.

JulieR