turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hildysks

Downloaded Turbotax software to amend return won't recognize 2017 return

I want to amend 2017 federal tax return.  I downloaded the softwared as well as a copy of my 2017 return.  Software won't recognize the saved copy of the return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Are you using the free 2017 Amend software?  What file did you download?  You need the *.tax2017 data file.  It will not open the PDF.

Launch your TurboTax software, then at the main screen in the top left corner click on the FILE menu and choose "OPEN Tax Return."  Does that work, or does it produce any error?
hildysks

Thanks.  After reading the IRS instructions for 2017 form 1040, I learned that I didn't need to ammend my return, so I have not tried your suggestion.  Thanks again.  I had tried to follow the instructions from Turbotax but was unsuccessful, so I then posted my question.

No longer needed per user.

Yes, I'm using the software. Open tax return doesn't help

@raconteur187  You should have started your own new question.  Please add more details on your situation.

you have the .tax2017 file?  Will this Help?  

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

When I try to access my 2017 tax return I get an "Error:  190" code when i try to open the .tax2017 file.  It then takes me to download my 2017 state tax submissions.  I originally filed in 3 states, I only need to amend one which should be free.   This does not work.  Is it mandatory that I download and pay for additional states to get access to my Federal return.

You need to download all the states.  You don't need to buy them again.  How to download your purchase

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/how-do-i-download-the-software-i-purchased-at-turb...

Or Contact Customer Service
5am-9pm Pacific Time Monday - Sunday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies