turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does my son need to file an extension by July 15th if he is due a refund if his tax return was rejected recently (as I had filed an amendment removing him as dependent.)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Does my son need to file an extension by July 15th if he is due a refund if his tax return was rejected recently (as I had filed an amendment removing him as dependent.)?

Regardless of the amendment you filed, he will not be able to efile.  He will need to file by paper.  No extension is needed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Excellent. Thanks for your help!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

removing him as a dependent is all right on your return.  it does not mean he can mark he can not be claimed as a dependent on his return.  if you can claim him but don't he must still check that he can be claimed on his return.

The rules

you're are entitled to claim him if he is your qualifying child or relative and thus a dependent.

you can claim him as a qualifying child if all these tests are met
• he has the same principal abode as you for more than ½ the tax year. Temporary absences like for school are ignored
• if he is not a full-time student, he's under 19 at the end of the tax year. If a full-time student, he's under 24 at the end of the tax year.
• he hasn't provided over ½ his own support
• he didn't file a joint return unless there was no tax liability but merely filing joint to facilitate refund of taxes withheld or estimates paid

or you can claim him as a qualifying relative if all these tests are met
• his gross income for 2019 less than $4,200
• you provided over ½ his support
• he isn't a qualifying child of another taxpayer

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies