Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

awaddy18

Do you see a change on the dashboard after amending or does it take time?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When doing an amended return, the meter is reset to zero and may show odd numbers until all of your changes are entered. When you're finished with your changes, the refund meter shows any additional amount owed or refunded to you. This amount is in addition to your original payment or refund shown on your originally filed tax return. 

But, the IRS has stated they will not start accepting e-filed returns until January 29, 2018. If the IRS has not accepted your return yet, you are not able to amend it. If you e-filed your return already, you will need to wait until they accept it, process and you get your refund before you amend it. Then you will need to print and mail it. Amended returns can't be e-filed. If they reject, you can just make changes and re-submit it. 

You can bookmark this link How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed and once it's available, 2017 will become a clickable link for you. You'll then be able to click that year and get instructions to amend. And instructions will be available in late January or early February 2018.

Other Helpful Topics:

View solution in original post

21 Replies

When doing an amended return, the meter is reset to zero and may show odd numbers until all of your changes are entered. When you're finished with your changes, the refund meter shows any additional amount owed or refunded to you. This amount is in addition to your original payment or refund shown on your originally filed tax return. 

But, the IRS has stated they will not start accepting e-filed returns until January 29, 2018. If the IRS has not accepted your return yet, you are not able to amend it. If you e-filed your return already, you will need to wait until they accept it, process and you get your refund before you amend it. Then you will need to print and mail it. Amended returns can't be e-filed. If they reject, you can just make changes and re-submit it. 

You can bookmark this link How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed and once it's available, 2017 will become a clickable link for you. You'll then be able to click that year and get instructions to amend. And instructions will be available in late January or early February 2018.

Other Helpful Topics:
awaddy18

I added my w2 after my federal was accepted but not the state I did not make any changes to the state though does that matter?

Did you get an email from IRS saying they accepted it? Or just accepted in TurboTax. The IRS is not accepting until starting on Jan. 29th, but may possibly pull a few to test early. But those still won't be processed until after 29th. Either way, if you had already e-filed that federal return, you do not want to make any changes. So you'd need to go back in and remove that W-2 you added.
awaddy18

Just accepted in TurboTax, so do I remove it by doing amending again? And will I be able to add it after the 29th or is it too late?

Go above to my original answer and click the "How do I cancel or undo an amended return in TurboTax Online?" link and follow those steps to undo the amend you did. After you have done those steps, double check to make sure that W-2 you added is removed. Use these steps to do that:

1. Click Tax Tools to the left, then Tools
2. Go to Delete a form and see if the additional W-2 still shows in that list
3. If so, delete it and make sure it's the one you added after the fact and not the one that was already there (if you had one already there).

And it won't be too late to add it after the 29th, since that is what the IRS wants you to do when amending, wait on them to process and send your refund first. Then amend and add that W-2.
awaddy18

Thank you very, I truly appreciate you helping me so quickly

You are welcome! Let me know if you have more questions.
awaddy18

okay, I guess I need more help I don't see the "you did it! Your taxes are amended" anywhere I don't even see the review button. I looked at the dashboard and overveiw and I can only track my refund or veiw my tax returns and document

Okay, what other options do you see, as far as links? Do you see the "Amend (change) a filed and accepted return" link again? You just need to get back inside of that federal return first so that you can see the Review option to the left.
awaddy18

Yes, I see that I can remove it from there? Sorry I had to step away from my laptop for a moment

@awaddy18 did you get back inside the return? If so, you also want to make sure you remove the 1040X from under the Delete a form section too, if it's still showing there.
awaddy18

Yes I got in I seems like I deleted it but I see my income amount under view adjusted income
awaddy18

I don't see anywhere else, but the refund went back to it's original amount
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies