turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mfrigo74

I filed 2018 taxes for my xhusband. He sent me a notarized paper giving me permission to file his 2018 taxes and to answer any questions on his behalf.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed 2018 taxes for my xhusband. He sent me a notarized paper giving me permission to file his 2018 taxes and to answer any questions on his behalf.

You will need to call the IRS, or visit a local office, and ask them what is the best way to handle the situation.  There may be paperwork you need to take to him in jail, or maybe the power of attorney will be satisfactory along with verifying your own identity.  But you need to speak directly with the IRS.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Do you have a question?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
mfrigo74

I got a idenity verification in mail and ive tried doing it online and get nowhere. So what do i need to do

Have your X do the identity verification since its his return and his identity.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
mfrigo74

He is in jail and gave me power of attorney

Why did you not file Joint?

"x husband"
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Missed that.
mfrigo74

I got it figured out thank u. I have appointment with irs tomorrow to bring documents and they r going to fix it.

You will need to call the IRS, or visit a local office, and ask them what is the best way to handle the situation.  There may be paperwork you need to take to him in jail, or maybe the power of attorney will be satisfactory along with verifying your own identity.  But you need to speak directly with the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies