do I need to send 1099 form if my rental managemen...

bluebird

do I need to send 1099 form if my rental management company reported as s-corporation on w-9?

Hi, 

I am wondering if I need to send 1099 form to the company who is managing my multiple rental units. They indicated on the w-9 that they are S-corporation and told me that 1099 is not needed in this case. Can someone confirm this is correct?

Thanks. 

tagteam

@bluebird wrote:

They indicated on the w-9 that they are S-corporation and told me that 1099 is not needed in this case. Can someone confirm this is correct?

That is correct. 

Exceptions.

Some payments do not have to be reported on Form 1099-MISC, although they may be taxable to the recipient. Payments for which a Form 1099-MISC is not required include all of the following.

• Generally, payments to a corporation (including a limited liability company (LLC) that is treated as a C or S corporation).

See https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099msc#idm140364727514192

bluebird

what about single member LLC? Is 1099 required in this case?

tagteam

@bluebird wrote:

Yes, it would be required but not if the LLC has made an election to be treated as an S corporation (as per the reference in your original question).