Beermanpat

Do i need to file an ammended return

I filed my taxes through turbo tax. I received a refund of $3000 more than I expected. the irs sent me a letter saying I had paid more estimated tax than I entered. they were correct. do I need to file an amended return sice they fixed it?

part 2 is I also forgot to add an estimated tax payment I made to the California state tax. should I file an amended return with them or will they figure it out and send me a refund?

AmyT

Do i need to file an ammended return

Since the IRS has already corrected your return to account for your estimated tax payments, there is no need to file an amended return (and you should not do so, as this will create confusion).

It is very likely that California will catch the estimated tax payments that you made and did not take credit for on your tax return.  If you would like to insure that you get credit and do not want to wait for them to apply the payment(s), you can file an amended return with California to claim the estimated tax payment(s) that you made.