turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tmk41999

Do I need to amend my 2016 tax return if I received a 1099b reporting a capital loss after I filed last year or can I start reporting the loss this year?

I received a 1099b last year reporting a long term capital loss of $21,000 for disposed stock.  I had already filed my 2016 taxes when I received this.  Do I need to go back and amend my 2016 tax return before I can report a long term capital loss for 2017?  Can I report a loss of $3000 per year for 7 years?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to amend my 2016 tax return if I received a 1099b reporting a capital loss after I filed last year or can I start reporting the loss this year?

You need to amend your 2016 income tax return, that's the only way you can legitimately claim the capital loss.  You should amend your 2016 income tax return before you file your 2017 income tax return.  That way you'll know, accurately, what you loss carryover to 2017 is and enter that loss carryover in your 2017 income tax return.

How to amend: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You need to amend your 2016 income tax return, that's the only way you can legitimately claim the capital loss.  You should amend your 2016 income tax return before you file your 2017 income tax return.  That way you'll know, accurately, what you loss carryover to 2017 is and enter that loss carryover in your 2017 income tax return.

How to amend: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies