turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to file amended 2018 tax returns (federal and state) to reflect a 1035 tax-free exchange reported on a 2018 Form 1099-R?

I have already filed through TurboTax our 2018 federal and state tax returns and we have already received our federal tax refund. Today we received from Navy Mutual Aid Association (NMAA) a Form 1099-R reporting a 1035 tax free exchange of an annuity contract with NMAA, which was finalized in December, 2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

Do I have to file amended 2018 tax returns (federal and state) to reflect a 1035 tax-free exchange reported on a 2018 Form 1099-R?

Yes, I would because the IRS will receive that same Form 1099-R and when they don't see it reported, they will send you a letter for an explanation.

I would go ahead and prepare an amendment (once those forms are available and mail it in).

You can find the directions on how to file that amendment in the TurboTax FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeeM

Yes, I would because the IRS will receive that same Form 1099-R and when they don't see it reported, they will send you a letter for an explanation.

I would go ahead and prepare an amendment (once those forms are available and mail it in).

You can find the directions on how to file that amendment in the TurboTax FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies