Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I get the stimulus check even though I was claimed as a dependent in 2018 and filed my own taxes this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
jamesjv
Returning Member

Do I get the stimulus check even though I was claimed as a dependent in 2018 and filed my own taxes this year?

From what I've read, if anyone claims you as a dependent on their 2019 taxes, you will not get a check.  From today's NY Times article, F.A.Q. on Stimulus Checks, Unemployment and the Coronavirus Plan

"What year’s income should I be looking at?

2019. If you haven’t prepared a tax return yet, you can use your 2018 return. If you haven’t filed that yet, you can use a 2019 Social Security statement showing your income to see what an employer reported to the I.R.S....

You can’t get a payment if someone claims you as a dependent, even if you’re an adult...

Do college students get anything?

Not if anyone claims them as a dependent on a tax return. Usually, students under the age of 24 are dependents in the eyes of the taxing authorities if a parent pays for at least half of their expenses."

Check with your parents or legal guardian to see if they claimed you this year. Also, I am not a tax professional or CPA--just getting info from the news--so you may want to talk to a professional.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The answer to your question depends on your age and status as a student.

"Will my dependent age 17-24 qualify for a stimulus payment?  

No. If your dependent is 17 or 18 (or a full-time student through age 24) they do not qualify for the $500 stimulus payment. This prevents many high school juniors and seniors from receiving any stimulus money. The tax code defines a child as “not attained age 17.” The stimulus bill relies on this definition and many other pieces of the existing tax code".  

Older children over the age of 24 no longer qualify as dependents. They could be eligible for the stimulus payment as long as they file a federal tax return. They can file a simple 2019 return even if they have no taxable income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you but I’m not a dependent. I filed my own taxes this year for 2019, my parents aren’t claiming me. They did in 2018. I’m 20, and I am a part time college student. Not sure if that changes anything but I keep hearing mixed answers like yes I will get it because I’m not a dependent anymore. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If your parents didn't claim you, you will be eligible based on your 2019 tax return.

Puckedm214
Returning Member

Will I still get it if I havent filed my tax return this year yet but I was claimed in 2018? I was not claimed in 2019.

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

@Puckedm214

It’s hard to tell without knowing the details of your situation.

Please see TurboTax's Everything to help you get your stimulus check as soon as possible page to see if you qualify for a 2020 stimulus check, and how much you might expect.

kenda1304

I was claimed as dependent but my boyfriend newer received any stimulus check for me, try to do a tax myself so i  can get it that way but it doesn’t offer me options to claim refund since i was claimed by him.

Please advice

Thanks

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

If you have been claimed as a dependent on a 2020 tax return and you are age 17 or older you will not be eligible for rounds one and two stimulus payments (1200 and 600). 

However, you will be eligible as a dependent age 17 or older for the third round (1400) that will be paid to the person who claimed you on their 2020 tax return.

The IRS is continuing to review 2020 tax returns to reconcile any missed third round payments.  They will send out the plus up payments starting in May.  

Here is the latest information on the third round of stimulus payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies