Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Direct debit of federal taxes due for 2019

I filed my 2019 federal tax return and elected to pay the balance due by Direct Debit on 4/15/2020.  In the mean time, the IRS has announced a 90-day deferral of payment of taxes due on 2019 returns (due to conditions arising from the Coronavirus pandemic) without penalties or interest.  My return has already been accepted by the IRS.  Is there any way to notify the IRS to change my Direct Debit date to 7/14/2020 to take advantage of the 90-day deferral that was made available after my return had been filed and accepted?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There's no way to change the date of your direct debit after you have filed your tax return. However, you can cancel the direct debit payment and pay another way by July 15, 2020. To cancel the payment call the IRS at 888-353-4537 at least 2 business days before the scheduled payment date. See the following FAQ for more details about canceling your direct debit payment.

How do I change my payment date?

The best ways to pay would be by check or IRS Direct Pay. Go to the following link on the IRS web site for information about Direct Pay and other ways of paying your federal tax.

Paying Your Taxes

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

There's no way to change the date of your direct debit after you have filed your tax return. However, you can cancel the direct debit payment and pay another way by July 15, 2020. To cancel the payment call the IRS at 888-353-4537 at least 2 business days before the scheduled payment date. See the following FAQ for more details about canceling your direct debit payment.

How do I change my payment date?

The best ways to pay would be by check or IRS Direct Pay. Go to the following link on the IRS web site for information about Direct Pay and other ways of paying your federal tax.

Paying Your Taxes

taylerelena26
Returning Member

Hello, I have the same situation. I called both the Federal and California phone numbers and they verified have no scheduled payment date for either of the amounts I owe. I downloaded a copy of my Efile document and verified that I had signed up for a direct debit payment for both State and Federal for 4/15/2020. Paperwork showed the bank account number, type of account and Monetary amount to be deducted for payments for State & Federal. Still unsure how to cancel these payments :(. I really don't want to be charged these large amounts as I can't afford them right now. Any feedback or more advice would be greatly appreciated!

Did you successfully efile the returns yet ?   Did you mail them in ? 

taylerelena26
Returning Member

I E-Filed for both of them on and it got accepted on 3/16/20.

Well then you have a conundrum ...  maybe they automatically stopped the payments... hard to know.  Call them again in a week ... they may not have been processed enough yet to be on the system.  They are overworked and understaffed right now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies