turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tneasley
Returning Member

Correct Way t To Enter a 1099S

I received a 1099S for Timber sale in 2021. The Payer has their TIN, closing Date, Gross Proceeds and my SS on the 1099S.  My question is where should this be entered in Turbo Tax and can I deduct the original cost of seedling and planting?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
tneasley
Returning Member

Critter -3

Do I enter it the same as I would a regular securities investment. That is do I input the Timber Company as a brokerage firm and include their TIN?

YES ... did you check the link I sent ?   Did you click on the blue link (see below) ?   It will take you here : 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/enter-investmen...

If you received money from the sale of timber, you'll probably get a Form 1099-S. Some people will get a 1099-MISC, which is (technically) the wrong reporting form per the IRS.

Regardless of which form you received, timber income is reported in the investment sectionFollow these instructions. Don't enter the sale in the 1099-S or 1099-MISC section or you'll go down the wrong path.

On the Choose the type of investment you sold screen, you'll want to select Everything else, located at the bottom of the screen. For your cost basis, most people will enter a 0, but you could enter what you originally paid for the seedlings or saplings.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies