turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

iispickle

Amending my tax return from 2015 where I filed I could be claimed as a dependent & paid taxes. Amending return & it says I get a refund now. Does it include the amt paid?

In 2015 I filed that I could be, and would be claimed as a dependent and ended up owing taxes (Which I paid).  However, I should not have marked this because I was too old and my parent's did not claim me.  Now in my amended return it says that I should get a refund.  Does this refund take into account the amount that I paid in error?  Or does it just display the refund that I would have gotten had I filed correctly in the first place?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Amending my tax return from 2015 where I filed I could be claimed as a dependent & paid taxes. Amending return & it says I get a refund now. Does it include the amt paid?

Check the Actual 1040X Amended Return.  The amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  If you paid on the original return the amount should be listed on 1040X line 16.  It is already included in the refund on the amended return.  You new refund will be on line 22.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Check the Actual 1040X Amended Return.  The amended return is only for the difference you get back or owe.  If you paid on the original return the amount should be listed on 1040X line 16.  It is already included in the refund on the amended return.  You new refund will be on line 22.
WillK
Intuit Alumni

It basically shows the amount you would have gotten had you filed correctly in the first place. The original return and amended returns are processed as two separate returns by the IRS. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies