turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

Cancel prior year amended tax return

After filing last year, I thought I was going to amend but ended up not doing it. Now my previous year tax return is the 1/2 done amended one. The instructions for canceling an amended return say to open the return and choose cancel. This is not an option on a previous year return. There is now no record in Turbotax available to me that contains what I submitted through Turbotax and it pulls the incorrect data into my current year return. One would assume that an amended return is working from a copy of the original one once it has been submitted and that Turbotax would retain the original data as submitted electronically. Does anyone know a way to recover this via Turbotax? I've downloaded the amendment desktop version and even when I delete the 1040x, the data in the 1040 contains the values of what I began to amend it to. Even if I had amended it, if the IRS had denied the amendment, I would need a way to get back to my original information.

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Our digital assistant can help you.
2 Replies
Level 15

Cancel prior year amended tax return

That's one of the many, many fallacies with using the online version. *YOU* have absolutely no control or *ANYTHING*. Bottom line is, you flat out can not import from last year's return. Period. No, there is no workaround and there is no backup or "copy" of your originally filed return that you or anyone at TurboTax can access. In a nutshell, you're just "out there". So when you start your 2018 return you have to select to "NOT" import from the prior year's return. Then if you have a printout of the return as originally filed, you'll have to pull prior year's figures from that. If you do not have a printout, then you can order a transcript of the 2017 return from the IRS at www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. If you need a copy of the actual return as filed, you can also order that on the same webpage, but that copy will not be free. It was $50 last time I checked.

New Member

Cancel prior year amended tax return

Thank you Carl. That's pretty absurd! I'm glad I caught it that it had pulled in completely inaccurate information. Now to start over....
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies