turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lduarte

Can you assist me to properly answer the IRS letter that I received regarding my 2017 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can you assist me to properly answer the IRS letter that I received regarding my 2017 tax return?

What type of IRS letter?  There should be a CP or LTR number in the right corner.

What is the IRS alleging in the letter, and what are they asking you to do?

Did you purchase Audit Defense or MAX for that year?   If so, we can tell you how to contact the company that handles that service (intuit.taxaudit.com).

If you did not purchase Audit Defense or MAX, TurboTax has a free Audit  Support Center you can phone on Monday.  To get the phone number go to the page linked below, click the blue "Get Help" button, and follow the prompts.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

You also appear to be using "Live Self-Employed".   I don't know if your Live feature will help you with a 2017 issue or not since you actually purchased that for tax expert help for 2018.   But you will be able to reach TurboTax Audit Support people anyway by the link I provided above, and perhaps faster.    They may be able to answer the questions you have.  Or you can ask them if you are able to ask your Live expert anything about 2017.

You may also get suggestions in this forum if you explain your issue here.  But this is a public Internet forum, so don't post any personal info.

hagenaar

Let me know, if your people can help me.  The IRS tells me I need to pay an additional +/- $1,400.  Wow.  I used TT in 2017!

hagenaar

CP # 23.  They say I underpaid in 2017 and even though I wrote a check for close to $4,000 which I sent with a paper copy of the 1040.  They claim they don't have that form!.  I don't write a check to the IRS w/o filing.  The e-copy didn't go through....

So, I sent it by the USPS including the check.  What do I do?

hagenaar wrote:

CP # 23.  They say I underpaid in 2017 and even though I wrote a check for close to $4,000 which I sent with a paper copy of the 1040.  They claim they don't have that form!.  I don't write a check to the IRS w/o filing.  The e-copy didn't go through....

So, I sent it by the USPS including the check.  What do I do?

"they claim they don't have that form"

So to confirm, are you saying that you mailed a full paper copy of your completed 2017 tax return to the IRS, and they are now claiming that you didn't file a return at all--that they never received your return?   Was the check in the same envelope with the mailed return, and was it cashed?    Or is the IRS saying that they disagreed with something in the return and adjusted it, causing you to have a higher tax bill?   

A CP23 notice usually means they received the return but changed something during processing, often due to the amount of estimated tax payments that were reported, but also additional changes they notice at the same time..  So be sure to read the letter carefully.   Did you over-report the amount of your estimated tax payments?   See the following article for more info:

IRS Article:  Understanding Your CP23 Notice:
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp23-notice

Did you purchase Audit Defense or MAX for that year? If so, we can tell you how to contact the company that handles that service (intuit.taxaudit.com).

If you did not purchase Audit Defense or MAX, you can phone the TurboTax free Audit Support Center for help with your IRS letter.  

To get the phone number go to the page linked below, click the blue "Get Help" button, and follow the prompts.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

If there's any more info on "why" they think you owe more tax, someone might comment in this user community forum.   This is a public Internet forum, so don't post any personal info.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies