turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jnkendr

Can we use Turbo Tax to file taxes jointly if my wife is a Chinese citizen, studying in the U.S. on an F1 student visa, who she received her Green Card in December 2017?

I'm a U.S. citizen.  We married in July 2017.  She received her Green Card in December 2017.  Can Turbo Tax work for us when we have her status as F1 for part of the year and a permanent resident for part of the year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Can we use Turbo Tax to file taxes jointly if my wife is a Chinese citizen, studying in the U.S. on an F1 student visa, who she received her Green Card in December 2017?

Yes , TurboTax indeed can be used for your Maried Filing Joint return.  Because she was F-1 and probably with no income from non-US sources and now she has  permanent resident status,  you can file form 1040 series ( for US citizens and residents).  Because she would be a dual status alien (  exempt non-resident alien for a part of the year and a resident alien for the rest of the year ), she can send in a statement stating that she wishes to be treated as a resident for the whole  of 2017.  This does mean that you have to file by mail -- print , sign/date return, attach the signed note  and  mail-in.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Yes , TurboTax indeed can be used for your Maried Filing Joint return.  Because she was F-1 and probably with no income from non-US sources and now she has  permanent resident status,  you can file form 1040 series ( for US citizens and residents).  Because she would be a dual status alien (  exempt non-resident alien for a part of the year and a resident alien for the rest of the year ), she can send in a statement stating that she wishes to be treated as a resident for the whole  of 2017.  This does mean that you have to file by mail -- print , sign/date return, attach the signed note  and  mail-in.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies