Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Ask the Experts about self-employment >> Event happening NOW!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can my boyfriend claim my kids on his taxes?

2 Replies
New Member

Can my boyfriend claim my kids on his taxes?

Your boyfriend can claim your children if the conditions on the following IRS test have been met.  If you have any question as to what a qualifying child is, I have also included that test below the one that would enable your boyfriend to claim your children, (Qualifying Relative). So if you or the children's biological father cannot meet the qualified child test, your boyfriend can claim the children if he meets the criteria listed for qualifying relative

Qualifying Relative

These 4 tests (all of them) will qualify a relative as a dependent:

  • Not Qualifying Child: They are not your or another taxpayer’s “qualifying child” 
  • Gross Income: Dependent has to earn less than $4,050 in 2016.
  • Total Support: You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship: The person (a friend, girlfriend, non blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household or be one of the relatives that doesn’t have to live with you (mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, stepmother, stepfather, your child, stepchild, foster child, adopted child, etc) Note: this list is not all inclusive.

A parent may claim their child if they meet either the qualifying child or qualifying relative test as outlined below:

Qualifying Child

These 5 tests (all of them), will qualify a child as a dependent:

  • Relationship: They must be your child, adopted child, foster-child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (grand or nephew).
  • Residence: They had to live with you in the same residence for more than half the year. Being away at school is considered as living at home. 
  • Age: Must be under age 19 or under 24 and a full-time student for at least 5 months of the year. They can be any age if they are totally and permanently disabled.
  • Support: child did not provide more than half of their own support during the year.
  • Joint Support: The child cannot file a joint return for the year.
New Member

Can my boyfriend claim my kids on his taxes?

i only grossed 4,055 for the year will that be a problem?
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings