Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
CG2

Can I revise the non-resident returns for 2017 as a resident if I became a resident for the following year (2018)

I was a non resident for 2017 and filed my returns last year under the non-resident category. I was a resident for 2018 so will be filing as a resident this year

I was recently informed by a friend (not sure if this is actually true) that now that I am a resident, I can refile a revised return for 2017 under resident category and claim the benefits / exemptions that are not available to non-resident (such as child care) and get an additional refund. 

However, I could not find any information about this online or on IRS. Could someone please help confirm if this is the case?

Stinkerbellkity

No, your 2017 return can only reflect your status in 2017.  You can't change it retroactively to a different status that applies only to 2018.

Stinkerbellkity