turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i file an adjustment to 2021 taxes

My husband used an accountant for our 2021 taxes. The amount we were refunded is different than the amount I was expecting from running the numbers through turbo tax. I think he made an error filing for our 18 yo that was still in HS. Can I file an amendment through turbotax? or refile?
3 Replies

Can i file an adjustment to 2021 taxes

it might be easier just to fill out the 1040X by hand....


what do you beleive the error related to th 18 year old is?  maybe the accountant did it correctly? 


and if the accountant made a mistake, he should fix it and submit the amendment at no cost. 

Can i file an adjustment to 2021 taxes

Yes, you can file an amended return with Turbotax even though you did not use it originally.  However, to do this you must,

1. buy a copy of Turbotax for 2021

2. prepare a return exactly as originally filed, and "file" it by saying you will file by mail and printing a copy (this will mark it in the system as "filed")

3. Save, quit the program, reopen it and prepare the amended return.


Your pro should prepare the amended return for free, if they made the error in the first place. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

Can i file an adjustment to 2021 taxes

"I think he made an error filing for our 18 yo that was still in HS. "


You do not mention specifically what error you think was made regarding your 18 year old.   But the fact that the child was still in high school would not affect eligibility for the child tax credit, if that is what you are thinking.   The child tax credit rules were different for tax year 2021 -- and only for 2021-- in that you could get the child tax credit for a child who was younger than 18 by the end of 2021.   If your child was 18 by the end of 2021, he was not eligible for the CTC even if still in high school.   If he was older than 17 at the end of 2021, you could only get the $500 credit for other dependents when he was claimed as a dependent on your tax return.


Look on line 19 of your 2021 Form 1040 to see if you got the $500 credit; if he was younger than 18 at the end of 2021, you should see the child tax credit on line 28.


Or....do you think there was some other error?   As others have commented, if the tax preparer made a mistake, the tax preparer should take care of amending for you at no extra charge.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies