turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I download the work I've done on TurboTax so far, even though I haven't completed 2020 taxes yet?

I filed for an extension and now I want to download and print the work I've done so far on 2020 taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I download the work I've done on TurboTax so far, even though I haven't completed 2020 taxes yet?

Yes.  But you will need to pay for your product in advance, and then you'll have the ability to download a PDF at will for viewing/printing as you continue to prepare your return.

• Open your return, and in the left menu column, choose Tax Tools, then Print Center.
  • Then choose "Print/save/preview this year's return."
  • On the next screen choose to "Pay now".
  • It may try to sell you the optional Max Benefits package, which is up to you if you want that.
  • The next screen should be an Order Summary.  Review that, and if all is OK, click Continue.
  • It should then prompt you for payment by credit or debit card.  The screen only says "credit card", but it will take a debit card.

NOTE:  If it should offer you the option to "pay later" out of the Federal refund, that can't be used for this purpose.  You will need to pay now by credit/debit card in order to download/print prior to filing.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

Thanks for replying.

Do I have to pay now when I'm not ready to file yet? I just need to print it out so I can review it and make notes on a hard copy. Or is there some other way to get a non-screen copy of the work I've done so far, like taking screen shots?

@maryeseptember-g wrote:

Do I have to pay now when I'm not ready to file yet? I just need to print it out so I can review it and make notes on a hard copy. Or is there some other way to get a non-screen copy of the work I've done so far, like taking screen shots?

You have to pay in advance to get full viewing and printing of all forms and worksheets.   However, you can preview the Form 1040 and Schedules 1-3 for free prior to paying, but you won't be able to get a PDF and print the pages in the usual fashion.  Yes, to your question about a screen shot of those limited forms, since that's a function of your computer.   

Here's how to do a limited preview for free:

• Open your return, and in the left menu column, choose TAX TOOLS, then choose TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window, choose View Tax Summary.
  • When the Tax Summary opens, look in the left menu column again and choose Preview My 1040.
  • That will show you the Form 1040 and schedules 1-3.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies