Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can I deduct city income tax from 2016?

1 Reply
New Member

Can I deduct city income tax from 2016?

Absolutely!  If your city income tax is withheld from your paychecks it should be reported in Box 18 of your Form W-2.

If you paid additional local (city) income tax amounts (not reported on your W-2), you can report it by following the steps below.

  • Log in to your TurboTax return.
  • Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Scroll to Estimates and Other Taxes paid
  • Click on the Show More button if needed
  • Click on the button beside Other Income Taxes (If you paid Estimates, click on the button beside Estimates)

On either section (Estimates or Other Income Taxes) you will be entering your taxes as Local taxes.  The divisions under Other Income Taxes are Payments with Extension, 2015 Refund Applied to 2016 and Other Income Taxes Paid in 2016. 

Look for the description that most directly fits the type of tax you need to enter.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings