Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gabtom19

Can I amend my taxes and add my daughter? I found out her father went behind my back and claimed her, he doesn't help out with her what should I do?

He didn't have my permission to claim her. I didn't thank she could be clamed because she was less than 6 months old

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I amend my taxes and add my daughter? I found out her father went behind my back and claimed her, he doesn't help out with her what should I do?

If you are the custodial parent and have provided over half the support for the child in 2018, then you would file an Amended return and claim the child.

IRS will send you and the other person a letter and then determine who is entitled to claim the child.

Our Amended return process is expected to be ready Feb 28th.

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else. --This one is where IRS would step in and send letters.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).--Year born counts as whole year living with you.
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are the custodial parent and have provided over half the support for the child in 2018, then you would file an Amended return and claim the child.

IRS will send you and the other person a letter and then determine who is entitled to claim the child.

Our Amended return process is expected to be ready Feb 28th.

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else. --This one is where IRS would step in and send letters.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).--Year born counts as whole year living with you.
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies