Can I amend my original federal tax return right n...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Outsider
Level 2

Can I amend my original federal tax return right now or should i first wait for original tax return to be processed by IRS?

I  sent paper federal return in February and it still hasn't been processed by IRS most likely because of the COVID-19. I want to change the filing status on my return.  Can I amend my federal return now or should i first wait for original return to be processed by IRS so it doesn't cause more confusion for them? Currently I have a balance due and the interest will pile up. If i change my filing status I will be getting a refund instead. Thanks!

2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I amend my original federal tax return right now or should i first wait for original tax return to be processed by IRS?

you must wait until the original is processed. 

Outsider
Level 2

Should i make a payment on balance due right now so that interest won't pile up?  I owe more than 1k to them. But when I change my filing status I will be getting a refund from them. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings